Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 4: The Woman at the Well


The Samaritan woman said to him, "You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?" (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans.) -John 4:9

I'm preaching from this passage on Sunday...and can't wait! This is definitely on my short list of favorite all-time stories. Just a thought about this verse. The racial divide in Jesus' time was much like the racial landscape of the segregated South, if not worse. Jews and Samaritans did not associate with one another. In fact, Samaritans were considered second class people. The very fact that Jesus was willing to talk to this lady in public startled her. Aren't you glad Jesus is willing to associate with people who don't deserve it?! (like me and you) Come to think of it, there is not one reason why Jesus should have anything to do with me. My ways, my heart, my intentions are so awry many times. And yet He chose to stop, consider me, and value my life. I'm glad He took the time to reach down and give me a sip of living water.
Just like Jesus, we have to be willing to cross man-made barriers that keep us sequestered from people not like us. Who are your Samaritans? Who are the people who are scary, or dirty, or different that make you uncomfortable? These might be the very people to whom Christ sends you. And you would miss out on the blessings if you don't do it. Jesus' compassion rocked this lady's world. I pray our compassion does, too.

1 comment:

Steve said...

The way you're using e-mail and FB and your blog all to engage people with the assigned reading is very well done. I don't feel like I could avoid it if I wanted to :)

Woman at the well is one of my favorites. I think our mental image of the scene is probably skewed by pictures like the one you attached and by people teaching the passage like the woman was an imbecile. It seems much more likely she wasn't the freshest and foxiest chick in Samaria after the life she'd led, and I hear her words to Jesus just drip with sarcasm and defensiveness...not dull-witted and receptivity..... because of how her life and turned out and how people people treated her. He won her over despite herself, just like he does with me.......