Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 19: Increase our faith!

The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" - Luke 17:5
What an honest plea here! Jesus had just given a difficult teaching. He challenged them to live a strict regimen that included a clean public testimony and forgiving people who repeatedly sin against you. The life that Jesus demanded was impossible within one's own efforts alone. It's as if the disciples were saying, "That kind of life takes supernatural power to live out, Jesus. Help us!" I've always considered faith to be one of self-determination. In other words, my faith is my capacity to trust and believe this Jesus and His teachings. The disciples' plea here is an appeal for Jesus to give them more faith as if it were something He personally could deliver- faith as an entity. To me, this is good news. If that is the case, then I want more faith, too. I want the ability to trust and obey Jesus. Jesus, help me not to depend so much on my ability and what I can do...but to ultimately have confidence in what You have done on my behalf. Increase my faith so I can be bold for you. Increase my faith so that fear doesn't determine whether or not I move forward. Give me more!

No comments: