Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Laughing at God



To see the lyrics to this song, click here.

Music is one of my heart languages. To me, there is nothing like a well-crafted song to deliver truth because it affects both our minds and our emotions. I discovered a song today that really struck a chord with me…no pun intended. J Regina Spektor is neither a scholar nor a theologian, but she is a master poet. I don’t endorse everything she sings about, but some of her songs are wonderfully inspiring. In the song I’ve uploaded for you here, she laments the fact that our culture has lost a high view of God. If you think about it, most references to God around us usually involve curses, crude satire, or silly caricatures. The same treatment is reserved for other deep issues in our culture: spirituality, sexuality, and relationships. (Just watch the Comedy Network and notice the subject matter!) We've lost the ability to deal with such heavy issues because it makes many of us uncomfortable. We mock the serious, mysterious aspects of life because we don’t quite know how to handle the gravity that accompanies them. These subjects are difficult work to unpack and analyze internally…so we slough it off and laugh. Spektor has a way of punching that thought straight in gut. When times get serious…when we get hurt…when the future seems uncertain…no one laughs about God then. When the chips are down, who is really laughing then? Trust Him!


Psalm 62:5-8

5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.

6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

7 My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

8 Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.

1 comment:

Kelly Jones said...

Josiah shared the song with me. I think it makes a good point also. Thanks for sharing with him.

Also you need to update family picture to include brook.

Have a great day.