Friday, March 27, 2009

Waiting for baby...


Our next child is due March 31st, and the Duncan house is brimming with excitement about a new Duncan girl...(#3!)...entering the world. There is a sense of anticipation and impatience that hovers as you get closer to the expected due date. We're all talking to Chrissy's belly, trying to persuade Baby Brooke to hurry up and make her entrance into the world. Someone asked me the other day why Brooke hadn't come yet and all I could say was, "She probably hears all the commotion going on in the world outside and she's barricaded herself in." I'm sure she hears the Spring hyperactivity around our family right now...crazy soccer games, muffled music and TV programs, young sisters yelling and playing, lots of jostling from a stay-at-home mother's daily activity. Brooke has no idea what she's getting into!

She also has no idea how much we're really looking forward to holding her. A new friend asked me the other day how many children I had and my automatic reaction was "Three." Brooke's already a part of my life. I can't wait to see if she looks more like me and Anna Beth (mini-me) or Chrissy and Sarah (mini-Chrissy). Anna Beth's only concern is whether or not Brooke has blue eyes like her so she won't be the only one in the family with blue eyes. Statistics and genetics dictate that we should have another Brown Eyed Girl among us.

This anticipation and adoration is yet another parallel to how much our Heavenly Father dotes over us and longs for our "birth." He can't wait for those of us who haven't been "born yet into the family" to do so. A bigger difference, though, is the perspective of potential. I try to figure what Brooke is going to look like. I dream about what each my children will do with their lives...fear what decisions they may make...sometimes fretting over their futures prematurely. God has the perspective of eternity already. He knows what we will become. He's living that potential already...and He loves us. Oh, how He loves us!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

We're excited to meet Brooke! We're praying for all 5 of you!